Thursday, May 29, 2014

RE: Sweet Tea and Rocking Chairs

I think this is a great topic to start this semester's blog discussion. While I too am unfamiliar with the Ya-Ya Sisterhood series, I think the visual of the books within the series is an interesting look. I do like the soft colors and as previously mentioned, the girls all in motion. What bothers me, however, is the lack of consistency with the design of the book. I can usually identify a series of books based on a classic or traditional format of the cover, whether I'm a reader of the text or not. When reviewing the other posts, this is nicely executed with the Harry Potter series. Even Jessica's examples of F. Scott Fitzgerald's work has consistency with the framing of the author and title through the backgrounds are different and very elegant, might I add. When reading Nicole's post, I immediately thought back to my childhood and my fascination with The Babysitters Club and Moesha book series.

I think the publisher's choice to have the Ya-Ya covers vary so greatly in typeface and design, is very interesting. When I think of a book series, I think of a brand. We oftentimes see businesses rebranding, upgrading or trying to appeal to a new consumer. Sometimes change goes over well and other times it's met with disapproval. As readers who still believe in the hard/soft back vs the e-edition, does consistency matter when dealing with a book series? Does the publisher/designer have a responsibility to stay loyal to the readership when creating a book series?