Thursday, May 29, 2014

Re: Sweet Tea and Rocking Chairs



I also haven't read this series, but I am a little familiar with Rebecca Wells’s writing style when it comes to feminism and womanhood. It seems like the relationship of women, particularly, mothers and daughters are important elements in the Ya-Ya books. Just by looking at the covers of the books, I can tell  that it’s written in a feminist perspective. The light pinks, blues and yellows, gives it a softer and lighter feel. The imagery suggests women figures, so I already know what the book will entail. All of the girls in the images on the cover are in the air.

For Little Altars Everywhere, the little girl in jumping rope. The sky is pink and there’s some clouds in the background. On the cover of the YA-Ya Sisterhood,  one of the girls is jumping over the other girl. The sky is blue.  On Ya-Yas in Bloom, the little girl is rollerblading. She has some sort of cushion on her bottom and the sky is purple.

From the design of the covers, I can assume that Wells is very creative and have an extensive imagination. At least from the plot of the stories, she seems to be very family orientated. Her audience is probably young women.


Recently, I’ve been reading, Sophie Kinsella’s Can you keep a secret? Sophie is has written several successful stand alone novels as Madeleine Wickham and is best known for her work under the pen name Sophie Kinsella. The first two novels in her bestselling Shopaholic series, The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic and Shopaholic Abroad were adapted into the film Confessions of a Shopaholic (film) starring Isla Fisher.
Her books also give me the same sort of feminist, creative flare with a touch of humor. Her covers are also very feminine with lighter and softer colors. The typefaces are usually strong and playful. Also, there’s the similarities with the families.


On of my favorite lines from Can you keep a secret is when she’s talking about some of her secrets:


“Like for example, here are a few random secrets of mine, off the top of my head:
1. My Kate Spade bag is fake.
2. I love sweet sherry, the least cool drink in the universe.
3. I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even exactly what it is.
4. I weigh 128 pounds. Not 118, like my boyfriend, Connor, thinks..”