Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Re: Sweet Tea and Rocking Chairs

I haven't read any books in the Ya-Ya series, so I don't know that I'm allowed to comment on whether or not they work. I don't care much for the aesthetic (Sorry Nicole!), but they definitely work together as a series.

One thing I can say that's nice about them is this quality of motion that they all have. There is something young and jubilant about each of them. And the colors and the clouds give them a bit of a dreamy quality as well so that they're a bit surreal looking. The pink and purple sky make the first and third books look downright other worldly. And the second one has a blue sky but the girls' skin is tinted a sort of yellowy green, which again, is kind of surreal. But the girls are each doing something something in these covers. And their expressions and body language make you wonder why they're so happy about or what it is that they enjoy so much about what they're doing. Although not necessarily my cup of tea, I can see how there's something appealing about it. Each of the pictures suggest that the girls are striving toward something.

Definitely don't care much for the placement of the words "A Novel." It interacting a bit too much with the cover for me.

I do really like the last picture of the little girl with the skates and pillow. She is going places. And it seems like such an appropriate image for the title "Ya-Yas in Bloom." That little girl is ready to blossom! She is going places, no doubt, and seems determined to get there no matter what. And she's ready to tackle whatever comes her way. She's prepared to rebound from any setback. She is growing. She is in blossoming. Or at least that's what it looks like to me.

Again, haven't read the books.

One of my favorite series' (Are you ready for this? No judgments!) is the Dune series by Frank Herbert. Probably only the first like 5 or so because it starts to get weird after that. None of the ones written by his son count... not legit as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, I love a lot of Sci-Fi and Fantasy type stuff and this series just sucked me in. I was absolutely fascinated by the world Herbert creates and the plight of water being such a precious thing.

Anyway there are several different covers but the ones I've included are fairly recent. Although not much to look at, I think they are appropriate for the book's content. They're simple, they only include what's necessary, the type is straightforward and a traditional looking, and there's a little window into what's on the inside. All consistent with the way Fremen live their lives in the series. They're not the most pleasing aesthetically, but they make sense. The Fremen would be proud!