Friday, January 27, 2012

Good Book, Bad Cover Design


When I was about 14 years old, I remember seeing a lot of my peers reading a book with a very colorful cover called the Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Soulja. I would see this book everyday on the bus and even during lunch. I began to wonder why so many people were reading this book. So, I began to ask if it was any good, and the amount of positive responses I received were amazing. I eventually borrowed the book from the library, and loved it! It was such an interesting story, and the fact that it didn't have a happy ending was refreshing.

Now, on to the cover...

Although I was only 14 and did not have a real understanding of graphic design, I was not a fan of the cover. For one thing, there were too many bubble gum princess colors (pink, purple, and sky blue) for my liking. I originally thought the book would be super corny because of the choice of color. This is why I couldn't understand why so many of my friends were reading the book. Another issue I had with the cover was the fact that Sister Souljah's name was very large. At one point, I thought this was the title of the book. Now, I know the hierachy just sucked.

Unfortunately, the cover of The Coldest Winter Ever doesn't do the book any justice. The designer could have done a better job of conveying the actual content of the book in the cover. It seems like all they knew about the book was the title and that "Winter" was the main character. And that's a shame.