Sunday, January 29, 2012

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

In reading this post, it seemed to me that book covers are so very subjective. Last summer I read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. A friend had recommended the book, but she honestly admitted she only picked it up because it had an appealing cover. She tried to explain that it was metallic and really caught her eye. She went on to tell me that the book was great and she enthusiastically recommended it. When I saw it in the bookstore, I realized I would have completely passed it by. The cover design did nothing for me. The book was actually very good and was exactly the type of novel that appeals to me, but had it not caught the eye of a friend I would have never read it just because of the cover design.

Now had the cover incorporated the twin towers and a little child, I would have probably picked it up and been curious. It could even have even had the image of a child knocking on a door and it would have raised my interest.